Friday, April 25, 2008

Write. Submit. Get Published.

If you don't write, you can't submit. If you don't submit, you can't get published.

It might sound simple, silly even, but how many of us keep telling ourselves that we're going to write a book one day? Some day. When we have more time. When the kids are grown. When life doesn't demand quite so much of our attention.

Here's a newsflash: there is no such time. When I was in University, earning my English Literature degree, I couldn't wait to have a real job. I thought it meant I'd have more free time to myself. "Self," I said. "Just imagine coming home from work and being able to do whatever you want. No more exams to study for. No more Shakespeare to read. It'll be pure heaven!"

At this point, I can hear the lot of you with day jobs snickering. I now know how naïve I was. Having a day job means I spend fifty hours a week at work instead of the fifteen I was spending at school. Then I have to come home and spend time with my poor, neglected husband. And let's not even talk about chores. Those are still not getting done.

Bottom line: writing wasn't likely to happen unless I made it happen. So, I made a list of goals. Each day's goals are different, that way I can challenge myself and not feel like I'm stuck in a repetitive rut. I'm not proud to admit that I don't meet my goals most days, but that's okay. At least I try. And the book's getting written one word at a time.

But what if you have your novel / novella / short story written, and you don't submit it? Maybe you think it's not polished or professional enough. Maybe you think no one will like it. Or maybe you're simply afraid of rejection. These are all very good reasons, in your mind, not to submit your story to a publisher.

Newsflash number two: if you don't submit, you'll never get published. Ever. Publishers aren't mind readers. They don't know that you've written the next bestseller unless you show it to them, sell it to them. Yes, that means putting yourself out there, subjecting yourself to the inevitable rejections. And that's okay, too.

Join some writing groups, online or in your home town, the venue doesn't matter. What does matter is the support and the friendships you can form. Knowing that you're not alone, that there are many of us who put ourselves through this every day can encourage even the shyest writer.

So write. Submit. Get published.

I, for one, can't wait to read your work.

Lacey Savage is the author of a number of sensual romance short stories, novels and novellas. Her articles and works of fiction often focus on women's issues and relationships. Find out more about Lacey at http://www.laceysavage.com

0 comments:

 
Womens Interests © 2007 Template feito por Áurea R.C.